Here are 6 simple steps in breaking in your Dr. Martens, DM’s, Doc Martens, as quickly and painlessly as possible so they are ready to wear within a week! Perfect for the summer.
So I recently got Dr. Martens (DM) and as we all know you have to break them in. Which is the most painful process that I wanted to be done quickly and painlessly as possible. But after that, the shoes will fit your feet like a glove therefore making Dr. Martens the most comfiest and trendiest shoes ever!
I recently got a pair of the 1490 Bex Smooth Leather Mid Calf Boots in a size 7.
Now first tip before purchasing: if you are a half size footwear, make sure you go down a size when purchasing your Dr. Martens because the leather will stretch to accommodate the extra half. I’m normally a 7.5 so I went down to a 7. You don’t want any excess space that would provide you any discomfort. And the shoes already make my feet look big so I don’t want to look like I have monster feet when I don’t.
Another tip before purchasing is: to remember when trying them on it will feel tight but that’s because you haven’t stretched the leather yet. You want tight but not uncomfortable that your foot is smooshed into a small space. You want to be able to still wiggle your toes and your big toe to touch the top comfortably. But the width of the boot will feel tight.
How to Break the Dr. Martens In 6 Easy Steps:
- WEAR THICK SOCKS. I don’t know how many times I have to stress this, but wearing thick socks is a must otherwise blisters are in your future. If you are going to immediately walk in them for a long period, make sure the back of your heels and the sides of your feet have extra cushion especially in your pinky-toe area. If you don’t have thick socks, then double sock it. You want your whole foot to be covered where the leather will be touching your skin.
- MAKE SURE LACES ARE TIGHT. You want your laces tight so the shoe can mold around your foot. It will be uncomfortable at the start, but beauty is pain!
- Walk in your DM’s around the house for 15-30 minute periods every single day until they don’t feel uncomfortable. Don’t be an idiot like me and wear them for a full day. Yes, I broke them in but I got really bad blisters at the back of my heels so I couldn’t wear shoes with a backing for two weeks!
- BLOW DRY YOU BOOTS. To mold DM’s faster around your foot, blow dry them with a hair dryer set to warm will help warm up the leather and mold faster to your foot shape. You want to evenly blow dry around the shoes for 5-6 minutes, so they get nice and warm. Then put your shoes on with your thick socks and walk around in them for 30 minutes. Repeat this process every day until there is no long discomfort.
- APPLY WONDER BALSAM. Now you want to keep the quality and appearance of the leather to last and not crack. To do this you should purchase their Wonder Balsam to keep them intact. Note: it also helps quicken the process of breaking them in. And it’s only $24.99, so it’s not too bad of a purchase. You can also use it on other leather boots to keep them looking brand new and shiny. The Wonder Balsam contains a mix of lanolin, beeswax, and coconut oil to help soften the leather and provide a protective layer and subtle shine to your boots. The stretching might cause cracks and damage to the shoe, but the balsam is basically an oil that keeps them looking smooth and shiny. This product will help maintain the look of your shoes to last a long time, no matter how many times you wear them and ruff them up.
- STUFF YOUR BOOTS. When you’re not wearing them, I stuck socks or the tissue paper that came with the boots back into the boots, so they stretch and keep that expanded shape. This helps keep them stretched out so when I put them back on, they won’t feel as tight.
Now this is the process that worked best for me and got me to wear my boots quickly in a short amount of time. I did this every single day for a week and it worked. I started wearing my boots for longer periods and it didn’t give me any discomfort or blisters.
Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any tips or tricks to use to break in Dr. Martens. I know I will be going to buy another pair in the future and would love to try new tips and tricks to break them in.
Let me know in the comments if you want be to do a tutorial on applying the Wonder Balsam.